Clinical Nurse Manager – Labor and Delivery Unit
Job Requisition: 23906
Department: Nsg-Delivery Rm
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Washington, DC
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is a Department Leader who assumes 24 hour administrative authority and responsibility for the management and direction of the operational, personnel and financial activities of a specified unit or procedural area. These functions are coordinated with the Executive Staff, Hospital Leadership, Medical Staff and others and are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's mission, vision and core values.
Service Line: Labor & Delivery – 3 North
MedStar Georgetown's Perinatal Department consists of a Labor & Delivery/Inpatient Antepartum Suite (3 North), along with a Mother-Baby Couplet Postpartum Unit (3 East). Perinatal nurses assess the mother and neonate in a family-centered, holistic environment that supports the new family during this time of changing needs. MedStar Georgetown is a regional referral center for high-risk mothers and infants, and we enjoy a supportive and cooperative relationship with our outstanding Level IV NICU to provide excellent continuity of care for these families. Perinatal nurses collaborate with parenting services, antepartum/postpartum patient educators and lactation specialists to provide comprehensive patient and family education. Our diverse patient population includes both medically complex and uncomplicated patients.
Perinatal nurses are encouraged to attend a wide variety of educational opportunities, including AWHONN regional and national conferences. Nurses enjoy participating in collaborative governance at the unit and hospital level and take advantage of self-scheduling. We boast excellent nurse-to-patient ratios and use computerized documentation systems. Recent awards received by the staff include the Daisy award and several nurses have been recognized as Sigma Theta Tau's 100 Outstanding Nurses of Washington, DC.
MedStar Georgetown is designated as a Baby Friendly Hospital.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing required. A Master's degree in Nursing preferred, and/or equivalent in experience and/or continuing education. Professional Certification in Nursing Administration preferred.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse. BLS required.
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of four years experience preferred to include: one year of related clinical experience and a minimum of two years progressive supervisory/management experience in an acute care facility. Experience in a University Teaching Hospital preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; expert knowledge of nursing principles, practices and skills; performance improvement principles, expertise in clinical area for which application is made. Demonstrates strong leadership skills and the ability to function independently. Competent in computer skills. Member of a recognized National Nursing Organization.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes overall responsibility (directly or through delegation to other staff members) for personnel and human resource management of inpatient and outpatient staff to include, but not limited to, interviewing, hiring, orienting, training, scheduling, coaching, counseling, evaluating, promoting and terminating employees.
- Plans, directs, implements, monitors, and evaluates the nursing care delivery system for assigned clinical area(s) to ensure that the nursing care performed is integrated within the MGUH Professional Practice Model and promotes continuous, consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of patient care.
- Maintains leadership competence and clinical knowledge.
- Promotes the professional growth and development of associates.
- Ensures Magnet structure and processes are implemented and maintained by promoting evidence-based practice and collaborative governance.
- Appraises, forecasts, and determines future conditions and strategies required to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization to support operations and finance management and budget. Reviews staffing, operating and capital budgets and ensures that fiscal targets are realized. Reviews reports on budget variances, assists in developing and executing budget action plans.
- Safeguards employee and patient rights and promotes a safe and healthy work environment.
- Leads and assures compliance with hospital policies, standards and criteria established by the accrediting and regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for strategic planning, program development, quality and performance measures for area(s) of responsibility.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: