Per Diem Clinical Administrator
Job Requisition: 16752
Department: Nsg-Patient Placement
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Per Diem
Shift: Day / Night Shift with rotating weekend
Hours per Week: .01
Location: Washington, DC
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Coordinates patient care activities in collaboration with other hospital departments, physicians, staff, patients, and visitors during evenings, nights, and weekends. Functions as the on-site administrator. Participates in quality improvement activities and manages fiscal and human resources in order to provide effective and efficient patient care. Clarifies and interprets hospital policies and procedures. Assigns and allocates staffing resources for the in-patient care units. These functions are coordinated with Hospital Administration, Department Heads, Medical Staff and others and are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. Master's degree in Nursing preferred, and/or equivalent in experience and/or continuing education.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse.
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of four years experience to include: one year of administrative/supervisory experience in Nursing. A minimum of three years clinical experience in an acute care facility. Experience in a University Teaching Hospital preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to coordinate activities in a complex situation; flexible and adaptable to change; remain calm and functional in stressful situations; ability to set priorities; effective problem-solving and decision-making skills; self-directed, and ability to function autonomously.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complies with professional, regulatory and governmental standards of care.
- Identifies and conducts Quality Improvement activities in identified areas.
- Assesses patient, family, and/or staff situations and intervenes with effective problem solving techniques if necessary.
Clinical Practice/Patient Care
- Interprets and communicates institutional values, goals, and objectives to all Medical Center employees and collaborates with Nursing Management to develop, implement, and support institutional and departmental goals and objectives.
- Collaborates with support services resources essential to nursing and patient care in order to maintain a safe and caring environment for patients that is conducive to positive health teaching, health maintenance, and patient and family expectations of care.
- Facilitates the application of research protocols.
- Assesses units’ patient care activity, acuity, and the available personnel in order to staff equitably.
- Recognizes, addresses, and resolves potential concerns, immediate issues and crises.
- Facilitates patient transfers/discharges to assure maximum bed utilization.
- Makes decisions relative to equipment, overtime, use of contract personnel, and staffing assignments, within budgeted parameters.
- Coordinates general hospital emergency situations.
- Utilizes appropriate information systems.
Human Resources Development
- Identifies, investigates, and takes necessary action in response to inappropriate staff behavior.
- Evaluates nursing staff and provides evaluative feedback on other staff, making effective recommendations for their professional growth and encouraging same.
- Keeps current on clinical, management, and health care topics and is accountable for appropriate self-development.
- Conducts meetings with off-shift charge nurses for the purpose of managerial support, problem solving and financial effectiveness.
- Assesses staff educational needs and either refers to the education department or conducts classes him/herself.
- Encourages and facilitates collaboration and teamwork; fosters open communications and a positive work environment.
- Identifies issues for and/or participates in multidisciplinary committees that develop improved methods and systems of patient care delivery.
- Initiates and maintains professional liaisons with personnel to effectively utilize available resources and facilitate problem solving.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: