New-To-Practice Nurse / Nurse Resident
Job Requisition: 27111
Department: New Graduate Nursing Residency Program
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar National Rehabilitation Network
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift with rotating weekend
Hours per Week: See Job Summary
Location: Washington, DC
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION
MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital (NRH) is currently seeking a highly motivated Graduate Nurse Resident who is accountable to provide compassionate nursing care to a selected group of patients. The New To Practice (NTP) Nurse Residency Program is part of the Vizient/American Association of Colleges of Nursing and is a 12-month program that provides a series of structured learning and practice experiences designed to assist you in your transition from a new to practice, to a professional nurse and clinical leader at the bedside.
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited baccalaureate or entry level master’s degree in nursing program. Achieved a minimum GPA of 3.0; preference is 3.5.
EXPERIENCE: Successfully passed the NCLEX prior to starting your employment at MedStar Health; must be willing to be a full-time associate at MedStar Health.
LICENSE/CERT/REG: District of Columbia (DC) license to practice as a registered nurse; current American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare provider cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification.
SKILLS: Professional competency as a general practitioner in nursing.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Under the guidance of a preceptor, delivers competent and compassionate nursing care to assigned patients. Systematically assesses and identifies current patient care problems of a specific patient population and seeks resources in planning and delivering care appropriately. Assesses patient care needs, establishes priorities and delegates tasks to ancillary support staff as appropriate to unit requirements.
- Provides nursing care in accordance with established standards of care policies and procedures. Documents patient information and assessments in a timely manner according to charting guidelines. Effectively uses provided technology for patient care delivery and documentation.
- Serves as a patient advocate by communicating clinical concerns in a timely manner to other members of the health care team, seeking assistance as needed. Collaborates with other team members to plan and attain patient goals.
- Attends all classes scheduled for the Graduate RN’s over the first year. Participates in unit-based in-services as appropriate. Successfully completes unit orientation.
- Provides appropriate patient education.
- Provides evaluation of orientation and preceptor.
- Seeks appropriate resources for problem-solving as needed. Assumes responsibility for own learning outcomes.
- Initiates, evaluates, and documents interdisciplinary plans of care specific to each patient by creating short- and long-term goals with the patient. Initiates appropriate interventions and engages patient feedback and progress on goals. Communicates patient goals to other members of the healthcare team and reinforces interdisciplinary goals with the patient.
- Participates in data collection for ongoing research. Applies research findings to clinical practice.
- Participates in multidisciplinary, quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: