Job Requisition: 1373
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Location: Washington, DC
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
The Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (NNP) is a registered nurse who has received advanced education and training in the management of high risk and/or sick neonates and their families, and has demonstrated clinical expertise in neonatal nursing. The NNP is credentialed to function in an expanded nursing role and is responsible for the consistent management of a discrete caseload of neonatal patients with consultation, collaboration, and general supervision from a Neonatologist. The NNP has responsibility for the assessment and management of patients, including diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, and the implementation and evaluation of an appropriate plan of care including discharge planning. The NNP carries out these responsibilities in the hospital (primarily in the delivery room and the nurseries) and when transporting unstable high risk neonates from other hospitals. All functions are performed within joint medical/nursing standards, and in accordance with MGUH policies and procedures. The practitioner works in conjunction with the primary nurse to provide family centered care. As an advanced practitioner, the NNP is involved in nursing/medical education, consultation and outcome testing. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Nurse Practitioner with Bachelor's degree in Nursing required (a Master's Degree in Advanced Nursing Practice is preferred) or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Nurse Practitioner. NRP certification.
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 2 years experience in NICU nursing. Trained in Advanced Neonatal Nursing Practice. Experience in a university teaching hospital preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with patients/families as well as staff and physicians; excellent clinical knowledge base in Advanced Neonatal Nursing. Demonstrates strong leadership skills and the ability to function independently
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patient Education and Discharge Planning
- Personal/Professional Growth and Development
- Continuous Quality Improvement
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.