Nurse Liaison- GI Pancreatic Disease
Job Requisition: 1736
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Washington, DC
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
As part of an essential component of Gastroenterology services, this position is expected to provide professional nursing care for a disease specific subset of patients. Liaison services are expected to provide individualized assistance to patients entering the health care system. This is done by helping to overcome barriers and facilitate timely access to quality Gastroenterology care. The nurse liaison will work to advance the clinical mission and goals of MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and the Department of Gastroenterology. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: B.S.N. required.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Registered Nurse license in the District of Columbia; preferred CPR certification. OCN certification or eligibility within six months of hire preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Three years of professional clinical experience; at least one year of previous, gastroenterology, or outpatient experience highly desirable.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care; Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care; Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs professional clinical service in the outpatient clinical setting including, but not limited to: patient assessment, communication between patient and provider, communication between MGUH and referring physicians, identifying and decreasing barriers to care, and assisting patients who are new to the Esophageal Center in obtaining prompt access to a provider that is in alignment with patient needs.
- Collaborates and coordinates with physicians and all disciplines involved in the patient’s care to assure timely progress toward the best clinical outcome in the most cost effective manner.
- Coordinates the complex management and education of patients to ensure seamless integration with the healthcare team. Works closely with the scheduling team to ensure prompt facilitation of appointment(s) with providers.
- Identifies opportunities for patient participation in clinical trials whenever feasible. Communicates information to research coordinators and referring physicians as necessary to promote enrollment.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: