Job Requisition: 1755
Department: Phys Srvs-Ortho
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Location: Washington, DC
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Coordinates and oversees general nursing care to ambulatory patients in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, under the supervision of a Physician or Registered Nurse. Ensures that the Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Nurses are assigned appropriate LPN or Certified OMA support to safely and efficiently provide patient care. These functions are performed in accordance all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED:High School graduate or equivalent GED. Graduate of an accredited School of Practical Nursing.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current state license as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia, or any combination as required based on work location (s). Basic Life Support (BLS) /Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification through the American Heart Association (AHA)
- EXPERIENCE:Three (3) years of work experience in a health care setting, preferably in an ambulatory Orthopaedic care setting
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Knowledge of principles and skills needed for practical nursing to provide patient care and treatment. Knowledge of examinations, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures. Knowledge of medications and their effect on patients. Ability to calculate dosages as needed. Skill in administering a variety of treatments and medication, as directed. Ability to take vital signs and maintain records, computers skills and aptitude, and prefer experience with EHR systems. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to maintain a safe work environment. Good personal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patient, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and prepares the weekly staffing schedule for the ambulatory practice at MGUH and the McLean and Chevy Chase satellite locations. Adjusts the staffing schedule as needed to take into account unscheduled leave.
- Provides direct supervision of the Certified OMA staff with regard to performance of their essential job functions. Provides oversight to the CMA’s to ensure efficient, safe and timely patient flow throughout the clinic.
- Provide orientation and training for new CMA’s ensuring that appropriate care is provided to patients seen in the ambulatory practice and that MGUH and Orthopaedic Surgery policies and procedures are followed.
- Assists physicians, Nurse Practitioners and RN’s with a wide range of Orthopaedic healthcare services and procedures. Removes dressings, bandages, sutures, cast and reapplies as directed.
- Functions as a Super User for the Electronic Health Record and assists with training and orientation for new staff and Physicians. Attends training sessions and communicates back to staff and physicians.
- Orders supplies for the ambulatory practice ensuring that supply levels are adequate to safely and efficiently provide care.
- Performs personnel management functions for the clinical area to include but not limited to: interviewing, hiring, scheduling, coaching, counseling and evaluating clinical employees.
- Provides patient education for care and treatment as directed, using written materials and handouts when available.
- Prepares examination rooms and oversees the restocking of treatment area supplies and equipment.
- Contributes to the implementation of clinic objectives and quality assurance program.
- Enhances patient satisfaction by providing concerned, personal, prompt and courteous customer service that supports the patients’ right to dignity and privacy.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.