Pediatric Float Pool Nurse – Self Scheduling
Job Requisition: 1441
Department: Nsg-Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Schedule: Full Time
Hours per Week: 36.00
Location: Washington, DC
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
A nurse is responsible for providing competent professional nursing care using the nursing process. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
Our Full Time Pediatric Float Pool nurse would be required to float to our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Transplant Unit and our General Pediatric, Hematology/Oncology and Epilepsy Monitoring Unit. In order to qualify for this position, you must have at least two years of hospital-based nursing experience. Option for set schedule available! Please see below for a description of the pediatric units:
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit – 3 Main
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a 36-bed unit providing expert nursing care for infants with a number of critical diagnoses. It is one of two Level IV NICUs in Washington, D.C., which is the highest level designated by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Our NICU is the major referral center for all MedStar-affiliated facilities, as well as a number of community hospitals in the tri-state area.
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit – C5-2
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a multidisciplinary 14-bed unit that provides care for critically ill patients with ages ranging from neonates to 23 years. The unit is supported by the full spectrum of medical and surgical services. The PICU specializes in the care of complex transplant patients, such as pediatric liver, kidney, small bowel and multivisceral organ transplants.
Pediatric Transplant Unit – C5-1
C5-1 is a 15 bed state-of-the-art Pediatric Transplant Unit, serving patients receiving care for life-saving organ transplants, including liver, small bowel and multi-organ transplants (liver, stomach, small bowel, kidney, pancreas and colon). Pediatric Transplant Team provides complex medical and surgical care for patients regionally, nationally and internationally.
General Pediatrics, Hematology/Oncology Epilepsy Monitoring Unit – C5-3
This 13 bed unit is divided into a 7 bed General Pediatric and Pediatric Hematology/Oncology unit as well as a 6 bed Epilepsy Monitoring unit for both adult and pediatric patients. Clinical Nurses on C5-3 provide expert care for both our general pediatric patients and our pediatric oncology patients as well as for our patients who are there to either rule out epilepsy or determine more advanced treatments for their epilepsy.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing preferred.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse upon hire; certification in Basic Life Support. Certification in specialty or related specialty preferred.
- EXPERIENCE:To meet unit criteria, at least two (2) years recent acute care experience in the relevant patient care area.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- PRACTICE & QUALITY
- Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION
- Communicates and collaborates with inter-professional groups to ensure coordination, continuity and safe care.
- Communicates verbal information and documents written and electronic information that reflects the planned and delivered care for patients.
- Supports and contributes to the unit, department and organizational goals inclusive of the mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of inter-professional teams and patients.
- Delegates and supervises nursing staff in providing patient care and assumes leadership roles, e.g., charge nurse role. Participates in the development and implementation of quality activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: