Director Laboratory Multi-Site
Job Requisition: 6533
Geographic Region: Greater Baltimore
Facility: MedStar Harbor Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Baltimore, MD
Join one of the largest healthcare providers in the Maryland and Washington, D.C. region, MedStar Health. As the Director of Laboratory Multi-Site for both MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center and MedStar Harbor Hospital, this position will play a key role in providing strategic leadership and operational direction for the Clinical Laboratory areas. Working in partnership with the Medical Director of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, as well as Clinical Lab Leadership this position supports our vision of becoming the trusted leader in caring for people and advancing health.
MedStar’s 10 hospitals, the MedStar Research Institute, MedStar Medical Group, and other programs and services are recognized regionally and nationally for excellence in medical care. We proudly care for more than half-million patients each year across Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region in our hospitals, urgent care and ambulatory care facilities, and physician offices. Our extensive network of providers enable us to offer the highest quality, most advance care-close to where our patients live and work. And, because we are committed to our not-for-profit mission, we remain dedicated to reinvest in the health and wellness of all the communities we serve.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory discipline; Master's degree preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: 5 years supervisory laboratory experience.
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: MT (ASCP) or equivalent certification preferred.
- SKILLS: Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Approves capital equipment expenditures, payment to reference laboratories, and other expenses and submits to hospital administration for final approval.
- Develops and recommends department operating budget and ensures that department operates within budget.
- Develops department goals, objectives, policies, and procedures. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Develops, maintains, and monitors comprehensive and effective operational manuals, records, and reports.
- Establishes laboratory test charges, and cost accounting and cost analysis procedures consistent with hospital needs and in cooperation with Finance.
- Manages procurement activities including vendor selection, purchasing, receiving, storage, utilization of equipment, materials, and supplies. Establishes and maintains contractual services.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts as required.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Selects, trains, orients, and assigns department staff. Develops standards of performance, evaluates performance, and conducts performance management planning. Initiates or makes recommendations for personnel actions. Maintains ongoing communication with subordinates to review programs, provide feedback, discuss new developments, and exchange information.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.