Wound Ostomy Nurse
Job Requisition: 5812
Department: Ambu-Wound Care Clin
Geographic Region: Greater Baltimore
Facility: MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 36.00
Location: Baltimore, MD
Coordinates the efforts of the health care team in Enterostomal Therapy. Initiates plan of care, changing as reassessment of patient needs dictates. Provides clinical expertise and education to patients, family, staff, and physicians.
- EDUCATION: Valid RN license in the State of Maryland; Bachelor's degree preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: 3 years clinical experience in Enterostomal Therapy; 2 years precepting and teaching
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: WOCN (Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing) or ET (Enterostomal Therapist)
- SKILLS: Basic math skills. Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with appropriate persons, groups, or departments to define, develop, implement, and evaluate standards of practice and care.
- Consults with staff and physicians regarding new modalities of care and ongoing care management.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Coordinates efforts of the health care team for patients with selected disorders of the GI, GU and integumentary systems, such as stomas, draining wounds, fistulas/tubes, vascular ulcers, pressure ulcers, neuropathic ulcers and incontinence.
- Evaluates supplies and equipment for clinical effectiveness and monitors appropriate utilization and cost effectiveness. Processes billing information as appropriate. Serves as primary resource regarding utilization of specialty beds.
- Follows up on patient caseload including telephone triage.
- Instructs patients and family members individually and in groups on selected related topics. Provides resource information for patients and families.
- Maintains accurate records of work activities and compiles statistics.
- Maintains ongoing knowledge of research findings and changing technology and uses this knowledge to educate staff and patients. Presents formal education programs and provides individual guidance to staff.
- Participates in staff orientation to specific patient care needs. Consults with and educates physicians regarding wound care issues.
- Notifies staff of direct care interactions including education provided to patient and families and provides written documentation of the same. Provides direct patient care as required, for patients in inpatient and outpatient setting. Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
Serves as a consultant to multidisciplinary team (staff and physicians) for assessment, planning, implementation of patient care, ongoing care management and discharge planning.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.