Philanthropy Program Manager
Job Requisition: 8318
Department: Exec Admin-Philanthropy
Geographic Region: Central Maryland
Facility: MedStar Health Inc.
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Columbia, MD
Responsible for coordinating the management of accurate and timely recording and receipting of charitable gifts and pledges to MedStar Health and its hospitals and operating units. Manages all facets of gift acceptance, including, but not limited to: hard and soft crediting rules, accounting for split interest agreements and their entry into the data system, limits on rules around donor advised funds, gifts related to special events, auctions and raffles, proper documentation of restricted gifts and documentary evidence of donor intent, etc. Manages the relationship with the third party lock box, cashiering, and Merkle and coordinate relationships with the ten (10) system hospital based philanthropy offices to ensure gifts and pledges are accurately transmitted, entered and receipted. Audits and refines the business processes associated with gift processing in relation to gifts that are received by hospitals and business units including gift data sheet updates.
- EDUCATION: Bachelors degree in related field or other related field preferred, or equivalent work experience required.
- EXPERIENCE: 3 years experience with gift processing systems, bookkeeping, word processing, spreadsheets, and databases. Additional office experience working with a small office team, software skills, including experience with Blackbaud Raisers Edge, Blackbaud CRM, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Project, electronic mail, and internet search engines.
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: No special certification, registration or licensure is required.
- SKILLS: Proficient verbal and written skills. Highly detail oriented with emphasis on accuracy of data entry and analysis. Proven ability to learn and comprehend complex databases. Good problem-solving and analytical skills, with proven ability to take responsibility, to work well as a team member and to work independently. Demonstrated ability to prioritize work and to perform multiple tasks simultaneously while adhering to deadlines. Good interpersonal and organizational skills. Demonstrated initiative and problem solving skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Philanthropy Program Director (Database Management, Reporting & Integrity) in the creation of and adherence to, a system-wide gift acceptance policy.
- Audits and refines the business processes associated with gift processing in relation to gifts that are received by hospitals and business units including gift data sheet updates.
- Collaborates with philanthropy teams in the entities to ensure that acknowledgement letter templates and business rules governing gift acknowledgement letters are routinely updated and maintained to support the stewardship needs of the hospital and business unit philanthropy teams.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Coordinates stock gifts and transfers with associated philanthropy officers to confirm the donor, stock and gift designation, and works with MedStars Treasurers office and bank to facilitate the gift transfer, and records the accurate median value for the donor’s tax records.
- Coordinates with MedStar entities and gift processing service provider, Merkle (or its successor), to ensure that all gifts are entered into the philanthropy gift information system (Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge) in a timely and consistent manner.
- Coordinates with the Manager, Philanthropy Administration and appropriate Associates in the MedStar Foundation offices to manage the monthly close of gifts in Raiser’s Edge and prepares monthly batch for Finance to post in the MedStar general ledger.
- Establishes and manages weekly, monthly and quarterly queries and report within Raiser’s Edge to ensure data hygiene.
- Manages monthly monitoring and reporting on the receipts and acknowledgement letters mailed and pending.
- Manages the gift entry process for recurring gifts, including Corporate Partner Program gifts.
- Manages the relationship with the third party lock box, cashiering, and Merkle and coordinate relationships with the ten (10) system hospital based philanthropy offices to ensure gifts and pledges are accurately transmitted, entered and receipted.
- Monitors accurate linking of proposals with gifts in Raisers Edge.
- Oversees the regular import of payroll batches associated with the annual MedStar Associates campaign.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides quality control to the daily gift processing routine, in part by running proof reports for each batch and double checking the accuracy of deposits, in accordance with MedStar Health Philanthropy Services policy.
- Trains other members of the philanthropy team in gift processing processes.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: