Director, Prospect Research
Job Requisition: 11433
Department: Exec Admin-Philanthropy
Geographic Region: Greater Baltimore
Facility: MedStar Health Inc.
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Columbia, MD
Identifies, collects, organizes, analyzes, and disseminates information on prospects, prospect groups and issues of strategic importance to MedStar Health in order to enhance the ability of philanthropy officers,executives and board members to successfully acquire philanthropic support for MedStar Health.
Bachelor's Degree in related field. Master’s Degree is preferred.
5 – 7 years experience in a Philanthropy Program. Experience with prospect screening services, research databases and resources.
Raisers Edge strongly preferred.
No special certification, registration or license required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Demonstrated proficiency in the methods of information acquisition, including use of sources (InfoGlobe, Infomart, Lexis-Nexis, World- Wide-Web Who's Who in Business, Compact Disclosure), and print directories (Directory of Directors, Thornton guide to Asian Companies). Shown initiative in identifying new sources of information, as they become necessary and/or available. Ability to organize, manage, and delegate a diverse range of assignments and projects with high efficiency, yet thorough attention to detail and follow through.
Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills. Familiar with philanthropy strategies and trends. Resourceful and independent, but comfortable working within the framework of an integrated development program and team-oriented environment. Ability to adjust to changing priorities and meet deadlines. Demonstrated competence in a variety of computer applications, including database, spreadsheet and word processing programs. Proactive in anticipating and seeking out information related to the immediate priorities of the philanthropy office. Demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize data from a wide variety of sources, and present the resulting information in a clear summary. Demonstrated commitment to team work.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Analyzes and synthesizes information to assess prospect giving capability, philanthropic tendencies, and appropriate potential solicitors; sources include complex financial and legal disclosures, corporate reports (10K, stock reports) proxy statements, foundation tax reports (IRS PF 990), and county documents (assessment records).
2. Develops, implements, and manages systems and procedures to meet the information needs the philanthropy department, in preparation for contacting, cultivating, and soliciting major gift prospects (individuals, corporations, and other organizations, such as foundations).
3. Understands a comprehensive moves management system and how the role of a researcher impacts this process.
4. Participates in continuing education to enhance and increase fundraising skills, maintains awareness of changes in philanthropy patterns. Keeps a finger on the pulse of healthcare philanthropy trends, particularly prospect research, analytics, wealth screening, and data mining.
5. Devise strategies for obtaining new prospects in order to ensure the ongoing development, expansion, and renewal of the prospect base, to which MedStar will turn for current and future support.
6. Identifies, researches, and qualifies major gift prospects. Provides concrete recommendations to philanthropy officers on prospect strategy and priorities.
7. Manages department information resources, including identification and selection of sources of information and information vendors.
8. Participates in and contributes to the formulation of MedStar’s development planning as it pertains to information systems developments, the processes and procedures of prospect management; and related infrastructure support services.
9. Populates, organizes, and maintains shared information systems, prospect information files, both electronic and paper.
10. Prepares detailed and up-to-date research briefings on prospects and/or groups of prospects for philanthropy staff, executives and board members, in advance of calls and events in order to obtain optimal outcomes.
11. Prioritizes and delegates research activities.
12. Maintains confidentiality and ethical standards as specified by HIPAA and APRA.
13. Develops and contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
14. Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: