Clinical Nurse – Endoscopy
Job Requisition: 12806
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: See Job Summary
Location: Washington, DC
Join the #1 hospital in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan region, as ranked by U.S. News and World Report (2017-2018)!
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, our healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership. As the first hospital in Washington, D.C. to achieve Magnet® Recognition, we have demonstrated our excellence in nursing care, innovative professional nursing practice, and nursing satisfaction.
Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—we are committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment. Our mission is what sets us apart – and makes MedStar Georgetown a special place to work.
The Endoscopy Unit at MedStar Georgetown is a procedural department with 5 pre-procedural bays and 6 state-of-the-art procedural rooms. The Endoscopy nurse will assist expert physicians perform advanced therapeutic procedures such as Colonscopy, Endoscopy, ERCP, EUS, Single Balloon Enteroscopy and Barrx Procedures/Treatments. Endoscopy nurses will work closely with patients to perform medical intake in preparation for procedures and assist physicians during the procedures with specimen collection and charting.
Four 10-hour Shifts
General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is an experienced nurse who assumes responsibility for providing direct patient care using the nursing process while assisting with invasive Gastroenterology/Endoscopy procedures in the specialty area of Gastroenterology. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. BS degree in nursing preferred.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse. Current certification in BLS CPR required.
- EXPERIENCE: Two years experience in a general medical or surgical unit preferred; experience in specialty area or Gastroenterology preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs pre-procedure patient screening and assessments to include evaluating and educating scheduled patients for the procedure.
- Provides direct patient care by incorporating the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation) prior to, during and after all clinical procedures and documents accordingly.
- Administers medications during invasive and non-invasive procedures and delivers appropriate drug and therapeutic interventions during emergency situations.
- Keeps the physician informed of the patient’s status during the procedure, makes recommendations regarding the patient’s comfort and well-being, provides post-procedure monitoring and care after exam is completed and performs long term post-procedure follow-up when indicated.
- Maintains standards that ensure a safe, therapeutic environment for patients and staff through the safe use of assigned equipment, performs quality control checks on assigned equipment, completes daily inventory checks and completes all required documentation.
- Participates in the orientation, training and inservice education of personnel/students assigned to the division and conducts inservice sessions on such things as I.V. care, CPR, and code management.
- Participates in research protocols for the evaluation of investigational devises/procedures/drug therapy through patient observation and data collection during Gastroenterology procedures.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: