Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurse
Job Requisition: 12973
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Washington, DC
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position functions as a consultant, practitioner and educator for patients, staff and physicians concerning problems with in patients or out patients with ostomies, fistulas/draining wounds, pressure wounds and incontinence care. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- Education/Training:Graduate of a Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurse program that is accredited by the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurse Society. Will consider applicants who are in the process of completing WOCN certification with the expectation that it will be completed within six months of hire. Master’s Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Experience:A minimum of two years of professional practice as a nurse which includes experience in direct patient care. Leadership experience in a clinical setting. Demonstrated teaching experience with children and adults.
- License/Certification/Registration:Current D.C. License as a Registered Professional Nurse. Board certification by the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Certification Board. Will consider applicants who are in the process of completing WOCN certification with the expectation that it will be completed within six months of hire.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:Ability to develop and initiate innovative techniques. Demonstrated knowledge of principles of Adult Education.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides consultation to patients, staff and physicians relating to pre-operative, post-operative and routine care of ostomies, fistulas/draining wounds, pressure wounds and incontinence care.
- Provides pre-operative counseling to the patient/family, direct care to patients for ostomy, skin, and incontinence problems and out-patient follow-up and care as needed.
- Assesses the need for, selects methodologies, strategies, content, resources and conducts/implements patient education and staff training programs.
- Determines and evaluates ostomy, skin and incontinent care products to be stocked for Hospital use.
- Participates in research and other educational programs/projects relevant to the area of specialty and/or profession as requested.
- Generates reports, patient records and course documentation according to departmental guidelines.
- Maintains and develops knowledge base and skills in the area of wound, ostomy and continence therapy.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures; attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Develops strategies to market and maximize utilization of the Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurse.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all inclusive.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: