Director of Operating Room
Job Requisition: 15202
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Washington, DC
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is a Department Head who has administrative responsibility and accountability for the management and direction of the operational, personnel, financial and marketing activities of the department. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
The MedStar Georgetown Operating Room houses 23 suites and is staffed 24 hours, 7 days per week. We provide a wide range of surgical services, including Transplant, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, General Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Robotic Surgery, Urology, Gynecology, Pediatrics, Vascular Surgery, and Ophthalmology.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. Master’s Degree in Health Service Administration or Nursing/Nursing Administration desired, or the equivalent in education or experience.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse.
- EXPERIENCE: Eight years of experience inclusive of three years progressive operating room administrative experience, clinical experience preferred; five years of experience in an acute care hospital setting, surgical services management preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Comprehensive knowledge of perioperative nursing. Ability to coordinate and lead a large, complex multi system department. Excellent conceptual and synthesizing skills. Current working knowledge of automated materials management & financial/information management reporting systems required. Excellent human resource management skills and the ability to interact with a wide range of disciplines and oversee broad management of all resources. Flexible and adaptable to change. Excellent public relations and communication skills. Ability to deal with high stress associated with high volume critical care. Maturity of judgement.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administers and maintains all department services in accordance with standards and criteria established by JCAHO, state, local, and federal agencies to ensure compliance with those external requirements.
- Assumes on site responsibility for the day to day functioning of the Operating Rooms and the Endourology Suite. The Director, Operating Rooms promotes an appropriate teaching and learning environment for medical and nursing students and para professional trainees.
- Works collaboratively with the Chairman, Department of Surgery, Hospital Administration, and the Medical staff.
- Oversees the management of administrative services including purchasing, supply and support functions for the OR, and generation of patient charges for operating time and supplies.
- Develops, maintains, and uses management and statistical reporting systems to enhance patient care, accountability, and efficient management of O.R. resources.
- Develops and implements, in collaboration with the AVP, Perioperative Services and the Marketing Division, marketing efforts to promote use of GUH surgical services among members of full-time and volunteer faculty.
- Assumes overall responsibility (directly or through delegation to other staff members) for personnel management of the department to include, but not limited to, interviewing, hiring, orienting, training, scheduling, coaching, counseling, evaluating, promoting and terminating employees.
- Assists the AVP, Perioperative Services in formulating, recommending, implementing, monitoring and controlling operational and capital budgets for the Operating Rooms within administrative guidelines.
- Exemplifies C2C’ standards and holds departmental staff accountable for conformity with the standards in all activities.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description the level and nature of the work assigned to this position and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: