Patient Referral- Nurse Liaison
Job Requisition: 19421
Geographic Region: Northern Virginia
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Arlington, VA
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Manager, Referral Liaison Service and the Vice President, Surgical Services, Washington Region, responsible for the coordination of physician referrals and general communication for and between medical and surgical subspecialty services and community based physicians. Provides direct access to subspecialty services by physicians for subspecialty consultation, hospital admission and urgent/emergent care for their patients. Functions as a physician advocate, facilitating prompt scheduling, rapid transfer and continuing follow up care for patients referred to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center. These functions are performed in accordance to all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Two years of professional nursing experience: at least one year of previous outpatient /community services highly desirable.
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Current D.C license as a Registered Professional Nurse. Certification in related specialty preferred.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Must have clinical maturity and experience; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team of health care providers; Effective oral and written communication skills are essential; Position requires a moderate level of advocacy and problem-solving ability; Ability to multitask and organize detailed information; Ability to shift priorities quickly and calmly. Knowledge of hospital operations essential; Knowledge of community resources helpful; Ability to work autonomously with limited direct supervision. Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to assess, plan implement and evaluate patient care.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtains baseline clinical information regarding patients referred for subspecialty services not available in the community.
- Works with the interdisciplinary team throughout the continuum of care to facilitate diagnostic testing, consultation, treatment and follow up.
- Functions as a resource in the provision of community care and outreach to affiliated physicians in the communities that refer to Georgetown University Hospital (GUH), Washington Hospital Center (WHC) and all MedStar facilities.
- Functions as a liaison between the community and the health care teams at GUH, and WHC in the prompt facilitation of all patient care related issues. Advocates for identifying and eliminating barriers to care.
- Handles referral calls from physicians to ensure streamlined access to care. Ensures patient referral process for specialty services is coordinated, anticipating patient and family needs throughout the process. Specialty services include but are not limited to gastroenterology consults, gastroenterology procedures, surgery, emergency care, inpatient services, and follow up care.
- Monitors patient progress and participates in selected quality improvement activities. Contributes to the development of clinical guidelines, policies and procedures related to role.
- Ensures that communication is maintained between referral source and tertiary care provider(s), including providing status reports on patient condition and progress, plan of care and anticipated discharge to community care. Confirms that all written and electronic medical records, such as consultation reports and discharge summaries are generated and distributed appropriately to referents.
- Maintains knowledge of clinical operations in the areas of specialty and facilitates prompt or immediate access to services and physicians as appropriate.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the sub specialty services, attention to detail and organizational competency necessary to meet the operational requirements of the position.
- Maintains competency in all electronic systems required for job functioning and contributes to improvements in utility of systems used for patient care.
- Is available as a resource to assist in the provision of community education and outreach development.
- Collects data and provide analysis to develop action plans related to referral patterns and other information received from physicians or facilities.
- Acts as a patient advocate helping identify and eliminate barriers to care.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: