Nurse Practitioner Lead – Surgery
Job Requisition: 20134
Geographic Region: Washington, DC
Facility: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours per Week: 40.00
Location: Washington, DC
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) Coordinator acts as the primary resource and supervisor for the Department of Surgery APP/MA staff. Participates in recruitment/retention, develops orientation schedules, and serves as a mentor during orientation. Evaluates, counsels and provides guidance to APP/MA staff. Oversees professional development and competency validation. He/she functions in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: BSN, MSN required. Graduation from an accredited nurse practitioner program.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: State Licensures in DC, MD and VA as a Registered Nurse and Advance Practice certification with prescriptive privileges; BLS Certification.
- EXPERIENCE: Approximately five to six years of progressively increasing job related experience, with a minimum of 4 years as a NP and 2 years in a senior, lead, or supervisory capacity in the specialty.
- TRAVEL: Ability to travel within the Washington Region of MedStar Health.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practice and medical care.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of clinical patient management.
- Skill in patient assessment, diagnosis and prescription.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and families.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of professionals, including attending physicians, residents, medical students, trainees, support staff, and hospital management.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of APPs/MAs, schedules work assignments ensuring appropriate clinical coverage.
- Oversees the recruitment of new APP/MA staff in collaboration with administrator. Completes performance evaluations with input from physician staff. Offers counsel and guidance to APP/MA staff.
- Organizes orientation schedules and serves as a mentor during the orientation process.
- Identifies and evaluates problem areas in administering clinical service.
- Performs complete clinical assessments for outpatients, including history and physical examination, pre and post-operative evaluation, orders appropriate diagnostic imaging and laboratory tests and evaluates results.
- Collaborates with the attending physician team, including presentation of patient data and plan of care. Seeks physician input as appropriate to complexity of decision-making and makes appropriate disposition
- Follows assigned patient population including autonomous management of patients with benign breast disease.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care team in managing patient through full continuum of care.
- Collaborates with the clinical research team to discuss potential studies that the patient(s) may be eligible to participate.
- Instructs patient/family regarding medications and treatments. Educates patients regarding health promotion/illness prevention and recommends appropriate community resources to meet patient/family needs.
- Maintains a standard of comprehensive, timely and compliant documentation. Demonstrates professional practice behaviors including maintenance of educational standards and requirements for practice. Seeks opportunities for active engagement in research.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities as appropriate to the position.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description to the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Please feel free to contact: